Sunday, November 3, 2013

Gratitude Everlasting – Day 3


Music.

Day 3 – November 3rd - Today I am profoundly grateful for music in my life.

Last night I was transported back through the decades, reintroduced to the present and kicked back to the last century again and again on the dance floor. Singing and dancing to songs from college, high school and even songs I only remember hearing in the backseat of my parent’s car (on cross-country family road trips that ended when I turned 10) wasn’t just social and memory-provoking; it was fun!

At the end of the evening, which was no doubt short in comparison to some of the other dancers out there, my feet were sore but it was my face that hurt from laughing so hard and so often.

Music, whether listened to, played or danced to, has the ability to transport us, through memories, to another place and time; transform our emotions and state of mind by calming, focusing and/or energizing and, in my opinion music can heal our minds so our bodies can heal themselves.

This is not the part where I say something silly like “Music Cures Cancer.” Namely because I don’t believe that is true. But I do believe in the power of positive thinking and I do believe in the old adage Mind Over Matter.

On morning of June 17th, my husband and I watched the sun come up in the parking lot of Kaiser Permanente, from the front seat of our car. Tears flowed down my cheeks as I considered the surgery and ensuing questions that still hadn’t been answered.

And we listened to Jason Mraz’s 93 Million Miles.

“Son sometimes it may seem dark, but the absence of the light is a necessary part.
Just know, you’re never alone, you can always come back home."


I remember all those swirling fears finally settled in my head, and I thought ‘Just This’.

“93 million miles from the Sun, people get ready, get ready,
'cause here it comes it’s a light, a beautiful light, over the horizon into our eyes…”


Every time I hear that song, I am transported back to that moment. And I am grateful. For a successful surgery, for a best-case treatment scenario and for my husband’s hand to hold.

Beyond popular culture and incredible lyrics, there is the actual playing of instruments.

“Music is another language,” I explain to my children as they sometimes frustratingly struggle to learn to play clarinet and saxophone.

I played the clarinet. Not really well but I played through high school where I met the people who became most influential in my young life – my best friends. Music wasn’t always our focus but music is the excuse that brought us together originally and facilitated our interactions day in and day out. Music is not the reason I have kept in touch with these individuals (since my clarinet retired the day I graduated from high school) but music helps me remember the fun we had and often a rousing John Phillips Sousa tune or an incredible DCI video, triggers an email or phone call.  

So today I am grateful for music that can be played, sung to, danced to, cried to or simply enjoyed.

 NOTE: If you'd like to spend the month in a similar state of gratitude, you can play along with me here in the comments section or check out KindSpring.org to sign up for their 21-day Challenge that begins next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment