Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Ah. Resolution time, right?


Twenty-thirteen was a complicated year and I spent the last couple of weeks secretly waiting for it to be over. Mom’s cancer diagnosis kicked off the year in January and my grandfather’s ambulance trip to the ER at 11:57pm last night capped an eventful health year for our entire family. The death of a friend, the terminal diagnosis of an uncle and another friend entering into the home hospice program were interspersed and I left the year thinking “good riddance.”

But 2013 was not all bad. I spent an incredible amount of time with my mother. I learned just how deep my husband’s love goes. I discovered an enormous community of support I didn’t know existed. I watched my children gain inner confidence and strength as they grew upward and inward. 

I learned how strong I am

And I laughed a lot.

In those final weeks of 2013, I realized that while the dawn of a new year always seems to harken hope, it remains part of that complicated set of events that we call life.

The good. The bad. The happy and the sad.

There are no guarantees 2014 will be ‘better’ than 2013, there is only the simple fact that each day comes, one after another bearing its own set of gifts and challenges. As a self-proclaimed control freak, I realize I only have control over my response to those aforementioned items.

While the masses make resolutions for a new year, I think I'll go with a few mantras instead.

1. Look backwards, sideways & ahead but always step forward.
(unless something is falling out of the sky. then duck and cover!)

2. When in doubt, say what's on your mind.
(not usually a problem for me, so I'm counting this as a win already!)

3. This moment only comes once.
(only once. ever)

4. Anxiety wastes energy.
(no exceptions)

5. Sharing is caring.

"You'll get mixed up, of course,
as you already know.
You'll get mixed up
with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's
a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.

And never mix up your right foot with your left." ~ Dr. Seuss


Happy New Year. May your days be filled with laughter and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment